Roobins’ Honorable mentions 2019 – Tunes
These songs did not make it to our calendar, either I thought it useless to nominate them due to my colleagues’ taste – or lack of taste in this case – in music or It just didn’t make that final, agonizing, cut. To be completely honest, this could have easily been my submitted list for the yule calendar, it’s all about what I feel in the moment. These are some of the most awesome songs 2019 and I love each and every one of them… and hold on there just as much great tunes waiting around the corner in the yearly playlist. In order of release date, my honorable mentions of 2019, enjoy!
Young Adult – Sun Parade
Pure gold from the very versatile Sun Parade here. No album?
Sleepwalkin’ – Better Oblivion Community Center
It maybe me impossible to count in, but not so impossible to love! Both Oberst and Bridgers shine in this duet.
Hold Your Own – Swine Tax
Excellent punk from one of our favorites. The slightly off-beat song is killing me, the good way.
I Sleep In – moonweather
Wow! How many melodies are going on?! The lullaby of the year!
Wiwasharnine – Mdou Moctar
Saharan blues with a disco twist – or is that twist something that only I hear?
Old Bone – Wet
This is one of my most played tunes this year. It’s a perfect fit for EVERY occasion. Love the three voices, one in each ear and the one in the middle.
I Don’t Do Drugs, I Just Sweat a Lot – Bicurious
Yep, cover-art of the year! Also, involuntary movement of the head – warning! What the fuck is this!
Bimbo – The Coathangers
The contrast and perfect match of the punky chorus and the popish verse is awesome!
Nån bättre än jag – Jacob Öhrvall
Swedish tune of the year! Might actually be THE tune of the year. Yes, I love it!
On My Side – Dehd
The frangible quality of the singer’s voice in the chorus is irresistible!
Starfire 500 – Amyl and The Sniffers
Half of this tune is the intro. Love both halves equally. Awesome Punk!
Clad In Silver – Here Lies Man
This retro-rock tune with massive riffs is a real knock out!
Michigan, 1997 – Dolly Valentine
Surprise of the year, and also the duet of the year. Field Medic is an old favorite but Valentine is a vert pleasant new acquaintance. Oh, it’s whistling not someone playing a saw – whistle of the year!
Evening Prayer aka – Justice Ezra Furman
I’m in on Ezra Furmans revolution. BAM!
Shiny New Model – BODEGA
Such a cool band, with a real earworm in this uber-cool post-whatever tune!
// with ♥️ Roo
- Yule Calendar 2022
- Delta Sleep – Spring Island | 2021 Best Albums #9
- Frat Mouse – Plywood | 2021 Best Albums #10
- Yule Calendar 2021
- The Bones of J.R. Jones – Bad Moves | 2021 Best Tunes #10
- Canshaker Pi – Okay Decay | 2020 Best Albums #1
- Father John Misty: One of Us Cannot Be Wrong | 2020 Best Tunes #1
- TOMMA INTET: D.A.B.D.A | 2020 Best Albums #2
- Born Ruffians – Albatross | 2020 Best Tunes #2
- SPICE – S/T | 2020 Best Albums #3
- Bartees Strange: Boomer | 2020 Best Tunes #3
- Joe & The Shitboys – The Reason For Hardcore Vibes | 2020 Best Albums #4
- Khruangbin So We Won’t Forget | 2020 Best Tunes #4
- Glorious: Unashamed | 2020 Best Albums #5
- Buck Meek: Second Sight | 2020 Best Tunes #5
- Viktors’ Honurable mentions – Albums
- Roo’s honourable mentions – Albums
- Roo’s honourable mentions – Tunes
- Viktor’s honourable mentions – Tunes
- Dogleg: Melee | 2020 Best Albums #6
- Other Lives: We Wait | 2020 Best Tunes #6
- Son Little: Aloha | 2020 Best Albums #7
- Jävligheten – Det Nya Svarta | 2020 Best Tunes #7
- The Notwist: Ship | 2020 Best Albums #8